Basic Research in SIV/HIV vaccines
Evaluation Studies of a DNA Vaccine Expressing SIVsm VLP: The long term objective of this research is to develop a vaccine capable of inducing protective immune responses in rhesus macaques against pathogenic simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV). For this purpose, we are evaluating the immune responses generated in macaques by different SIV DNA vaccine (Vec B7). The 1.6Kb deletion (Dpol, vif, vpr, and vpx) of SIVsmB7 provirus DNA was introduced into the SIVsmH4 DNA to construct the Vec B7 expression vector. Vec B7 expressed SIVsm gag, env and nef proteins, produced virus-like particles (VLP) in vitro, and was immunogenic in mice. This project is supported by several grants including RO1 AI 44592 from NIH (NIAID).
Caribbean Primate Research Center
NeuroAIDS Research Program
- Caribbean Primate Research Center Program: The major goal of this project is to maintain and enhance the Caribbean Primate
Research Center basic infrastructure, which is needed for the support of several biomedical research initiatives of national
interest. This program is currently supported by a P40 RR03640 grant from NCRR (NIH); 09/30/05-07/31/10.$9,339,241
- CPRC SPF Rhesus Monkey Program:
This program is currently supported by two different grants from NCRR (NIH): U42 RR016021-06A1 09/30/06-03/31/11. $4,738,220
and U24 RR18108 09/16/07-08/31/12. $10,095,226. The major goal of these projects is to develop a colony of specific pathogen-free
rhesus macaques to make them available to investigators supported by NIH and by other federal programs.
A Caribbean Project for Clinical and Basic Neuroscience Research
The major goal of this proposal is to help develop the NeuroAIDS Research Infrastructure at the UPR Medical Sciences Campus. This
program is currently supported by a 3U54NS043011 grant from NINDS; 09/30/06-08/31/11. $8,403,925
1973: State University of New York at Buffalo, NY: Ph.D. Virology
1971: State University of New York at Buffalo, NY: M.S. Molecular Biology
1965: University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina: M.S. Nuclear Physics
Wojna V, Skolasky RL, McArthur JC, Maldonado E, Hechavarria R, Mayo R, Selnes O, Ginebra T, de la Torre T, Garcia H, Kraiselburd E,
Melendez-Guerrero LM, Zorrilla CD, Nath A. Spanish validation of the HIV dementia scale in women. AIDS Patient Care STDS.
- Aidoo M, Otten RA, Rodriguez V, Sariol CA, Martinez M, Kraiselburd E, Robinson H, Folks T, Butera S, Ellenberger D. Absence of SHIV infection in gut and lymph node tissues in rhesus monkeys after repeated rectal challenges following HIV-1 DNA/MVA immunizations. Vaccine. 2007 Aug 29;25(35):6474-81. Epub 2007 Jun 29.
- Gerald, M.S., Waitt, C., Little, A.C., and Kraiselburd, E. Females Pay Attention to Female Secondary Sexual Color: An Experimental Study in Macaca mulatta. International Journal of Primatology. Published online: 25 January 2007
- Sariol, C.A., Arana, T., Gascot, S., Suarez, E., Maldonado, E. Gerald, M.S., Gonzalez-Martinez, J., Rodriguez, M., Kraiselburd, E.N. Transcriptional Activation Of Interferon Stimulated Genes But Not Of Cytokine Genes After Primary Infection Of Rhesus Macaques With Dengue Virus Type 1. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007 Apr 11 E.
- Ellenberger, D., Otten, R., Li, B., Aidoo, M., Rodriguez, I.V., Sariol, C.A., Martinez, M., Monsour, M., Wyatt, L., Hudgens, MG., Kraiselburd, E., Moss, B., Robinson, H., Folks, T., and Butera, S. HIV-1 DNA/MVA vaccination reduces the per exposure probability of infection during repeated mucosal SHIV challenges. Virology, 15;352(1):216-25,2006.
- Sariol, C.A., Arana, T., Gascot, S., Suarez, E., Maldonado, E. Gerald, M.S., Gonzalez-Martinez, J., Rodriguez, M., Kraiselburd, E.N. Differential Distribution of Antibodies to Different Viruses in the Free-Ranging Rhesus Macaques of Cayo Santiago. Medical Journal of Primatology. 35: 369-375, 2006.
- Waitt, C., Gerald, M.S., Little, A.C., and Kraiselburd, E. Selective attention toward female secondary sexual color in male rhesus macaques. American Journal of Primatology. 68(7): 738-744, 2006.
- Wojna, V., Skolasky, R.L., Hechavarria, R., Mayo, R., Selnes, O., McArthur, J.C., Melendez, L.M., Maldonado,E., Zorrilla,C.D., Garcia, H., Kraiselburd,E., Nath, A., Avindra Nath. Prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus-associated cognitive impairment in a group of Hispanic women at risk for neurological impairment. Journal of Neurovirology. Volume 12, Number 5, Pages: 356-364. October 2006.
- Sariol, C., Arana, T., Gerald, M.S., Maldonado, E., Gonzalez, J., Rodriguez, M., and Kraiselburd, E. Herpes-B virus seroreactivity in a colony of Macaca mulatta: Data from the Sabana Seca Field Station, a new Specific-Pathogen-Free Program. J Med Primatol; 34:13-19, 2005.
- Ellenberger, D., Wyatt, L., Li, B., Buge, S., Lanier, N., Rodriguez, I.V., Sariol, C.A., Martinez, M., Monsour, M., Dowd, J., Smith, J., Otten, R., Montefiori, D., Kraiselburd, E., Moss, B., Robinson, H., McNicholl, J., and Butera, S. Comparative immunogenicity in rhesus monkeys of multi-protein 3 HIV-1 (CRF02_AG) DNA/MVA vaccines expressing 4 mature and immature VLPs. Virology, 2005, Jul 13; [Epub ahead of print].
- Kumar, R., Perez-Casanova, A.E., Tirado, G., Noel, R.J., Torres, C., Rodriguez, I., Martinez, M., Staprans, S., Kraiselburd, E., Yamamura, Y., Higley, J.D., and Kumar, A. Increased viral replication in Simian Immunodeficiency Virus/Simian-HIV-Infected macaques with self-administering model of chronic alcohol consumption. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. Volume 39, Number 4, August 1, 2005.
- Wojna V, Carlson KA, Luo X, Mayo R, Melendez LM, Kraiselburd, E. Gendelman HE. Proteomic fingerprinting of HIV-associated dementia from patient Monocyte-derived macrophages. A case study. Journal of Neurovirology. Volume 10, Supplement 1 (2004).
- Jensen, K., Alvarado-Remy, F., Gonzalez-Martinez, J., Kraiselburd, E., and Rulluan, J.B. Virus and Free-Ranging Macaques, Puerto Rico. Emerging Infectious Diseases (2004).
- Eduardo O'Neill, Vanda Bostik, David C. Montefiori, Edmundo Kraiselburd, and Francois Villinger. Il-12/GM-CSF Co-Administration In An SIV DNA Prime/Protein Boost Protocol Enhances Gag Specific T Cells But Not Virus-Specific Neutralizing Antibodies In Rhesus Macaques. Human Retroviruses; Vol 19, Num. 10, October 2003.
- E. O'Neill, I. Martinez, F. Villinger, M. Rivera, S. Gascot, C. Colon, T. Arana, M. Sidhu, R. Stout, D.C. Montefiori, M. Martinez, A.A. Ansari, Z. R. Israel, and E. Kraiselburd. Protection by SIV VLP DNA prime/protein boost following mucosal SIV challenge is markedly enhanced by IL-12/gm-csf co-administration. Journal of Medical Primatology; Vol 31, Issue 4-5, August 2002.
- Idalí Martínez, Luis Giavedoni and Edmundo Kraiselburd. Clone B7 cells have a single copy of SIVsmB7 integrated in chromosome 20. Archives of Virology147:217-223. January, (2002).